Thursday, April 23, 2009

I can't help it...

Sometimes the temptation to abuse my teacher power is too great. Yesterday I was handing out tickets for the honor roll students to be allowed to see a play by the Cedar City Touring Company during the last two periods of the day. One of the students who received one (who is one who tries to get out of all the work he possibly can while still keeping his grades up) asked me if he would have to do anything besides sit and watch. With the most straight face I could muster, I said, "But you guys are going to be the actors!" Exclamations of "What?!?" went up around the room. "Yeah, they didn't tell you? You guys are going to act the play out." Incredulous remarks were all around. I'm not very good at keeping it going for long, plus I didn't really want them to decide not to go, so I told them the truth then. It is just so funny how easily they believe me! It's a good reminder that I need to be careful in what I say in all areas, because they will believe me.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, there is nothing wrong with abusing your power as a teacher. It it teaches kids that someone is always above them, and they can never be too comfortable. Consider it a life lesson.
    -Jeremy

    ReplyDelete